Social Icons

Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The story of a drunken violinist...

The best thing about writing your own characters is that it gives you a rare opportunity to create life, even if it's purely fictional.

I've done that many times over...

But when I do it I try to write perfectly flawed characters that you have strong feelings about, whether they are good or whether they are of the negative persuasion.

For example...

I created a curvy temptress who goes from selfish, self-absorbed bitch and, through her own struggles and triumphs, becomes a good woman and a good mother. This pales in comparison...

....to writing a conflicted villain who is evil by circumstances, only to be revealed as an avenging hero at the very end of his life. It surprised me thoroughly when the few people who've read the whole story name a villain as their favorite character.

Yet the oddest character to be liked by the masses...is a drunken violinist.

<-- strong="strong">This drunken violinist...

...a guy I named Torian Kennedy.

He's basically this brilliant
and quiet tortured artist who has something of a drinking problem and is blunt to the point of being a complete asshole. For my return to my blog, I'll be talking about him for a while.

I hope you can bear with me as I do...